Sunday, September 23, 2007

KBells


Alright, I admit it, I'm a bit of a girl sometimes. I do miss the aggression that I had in my younger years, the fire, the drive. Yes, I've softened both in personality and body. And I want to fight back!

When I saw a booth at the recent CanFitPro Conference in Toronto that was offering Kettlebell Training I ran right over. This sounds like a perfect way to get my "mojo" back! I registered right then and there to become a Certified Kettlebell instructor. So I've been quite pumped about this session for the past few weeks. I know how to do it all: how to train with dumbells, barbells, bodyweight, unilaterally, descending sets, compound sets, vary the tempo, the range of motion, blah, blah, blah. Been there, done that, and I need more to get really excited!

In describing the Kettlebell to clients I've been saying, "It's like a steel ball with kindof a purse handle at the top". That kind of describes how I personally have been feeling within my own weight workouts: lame! Now after I've spent the weekend forcing my body to haul this seemingly unsteady weight into wild positions over my head, I have some respect again for what the body is capable of. Teach the body a new position with a new challenge and make it work to stay there, that is the essence of what I learned this weekend.

Now I know that this Russian discipline is about real effort, not just going through the motions. This is a cannonball with a suitcase handle: TOUGH! I finished the weekend feeling confident, powerful, truly strong. I'm ready to train for the next few months to really see what my body is capable of when I put it to the test and train it to capacity. This is not powerlifting, it's functional lifting to create sexy strength and a tight, toned body.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Thank you Ajamu, for reminding how my body should feel and move, I can't wait to see the results and share this amazing form of training with my clients. I feel pretty good about the Windmill, but look out Turkish Get Up, here I come!

Look for details coming soon to my website http://www.oakvillefitness.com/

Sarah